Tuesday 1 May 2012

FMQing Challenge, April

This month called for us to essentially follow a line ... to follow along on a drawn design.  Unfortunately I was not able to access the template our fabulous tutor Don Linn gave, but this gave me the opportunity to use one of the fabulous templates offered by Judi @ Green Fairy Quilts ... one of the first ladies who really inspired me to go for this, after seeing all her gorgeous quilts all through last year.

I chose to use Judi's Serenity template...


Not a wonderful image, but is does show a good quarter of the design.  I love the look that the pebbles adds to the design ... it really brings out the design beautifully!



I have used a plain white cotton thread in both top and bobbin ... not even embroidery thread this time!!
I also used the cheap polyester batting I've used for these 'practice' designs, and my blue Clover water-soluble marker to draw the design on the fabric.  I also chose to use white Kona fabric to bring out this design to it's full potential.


I had a little problem with tension in the last outer quadrant, but it was easy enough to remove and re-do.

I really enjoyed this design, love the look, and felt it came out quite smoothly ... I will definitely be using this design in future quilts!  Thank you Judi for making it available!!!

I also found that my FMQing stitching is becoming smoother with each subsequent attempt, and am really loving that I took on this challenge!  Thankyou SewCalGal for hosting!!!

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *
I am linking this post to the April challenge post.  Go have a look at the wonderful efforts all the other challenge participants have achieved this month!  I am truly loving taking part in it, and know others are too!!

12 comments:

Fiona said...

Doesn't that look fabulous.... you must be so pleased... I CANNOT do pebbles... what is your secret?
Hugz

Josie said...

Wow!! Larissa your quilting is amazing!! I love the design and as for the workmanship... brilliant! I can't do pebbles either so like Fiona said... 'what is your secret'?

Anonymous said...

Larissa this is fantastic,well done,you should be very proud.xx

Kat said...

Wow, Larissa, this looks FABULOUS!! I am new to FMQ and this looks a little scary to me, but the result is stunning. Maybe if I finish my May list (ha!) I will give this a try.

Talin's Corner said...

Your quilting is simply beautiful. I love the way it turned out.

Narelle said...

This is gorgeous quilting ... well done!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous design, and stunning quilting you clever girl.

Susan said...

Oh My Goodness! What beautiful work you are doing! I'm insanly jealous! Come to the US and teach me, will you? You are one talented lady!

Quilter Kathy said...

You did a great job! I love that design!

Vicki ♥ said...

Oh Wow Larissa....that looks amazing! you are so clever!! hugs Vicki x

SewCalGal said...

Really beautiful. Inspirational. So happy you enjoy the FMQ tutorial by Don Linn and his techniques for creating unique stencils.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Looks great. I just started doing pebbles and they are so much fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...