Tuesday 31 January 2012

January's FMQing Challenge entry ...


One of the challenges I have decided to take on this year is the Free Motion Quilting Challenge set by SewCalGal.  This month's challenge was set by Frances Moore, and it was a 'trailing leaves' design.  The tutorial was given via this youtube video if you are interested in trying it yourself.

So, how did I go?  After a really horrific attempt earlier in the month, after which I realised DD had changed up my tension ....


Looks o-kay ... but just wait till you see the back!!!


Bleagch!!! LOL!!  Why, oh why didn't I check the tension before starting?! Hehe!!!

I had another go today on some 5in squares I sewed together in a 6 x 2 block.  It looks pretty good from afar, lol, all tidied up and squared up ...


When you look closer, it is easy to pick out the horrible leaves ... though, every now and then I come up with a nice leaf or two, lol!!  My best two blocks are in the orange on the top left, and the green-blue, third from the left along the top ...



The back looks like a mess of trailing leaves, with the occasional loopy to break up the 'stems' ...



I found that, when I was nearing the end of the 'runner', it was obvious my hands were tiring.  The leaves looked messier and the nicer leaves were few and far between.  I found it easier to make the leaf shape when I was looking at the 'heart' shaped leaf, with the point facing towards me.  When the points were facing away from me it was more difficult to get a nicely shaped leaf.  With LOADS more practice I am sure I can make this more regular and neater.

I was using Mettler silk-finish multi thread, No.50.

I am linking this up with SewCalGal's January challenge linkup here.

If you are wanting to join in on the fun, challenging your skills at FMQing this year, why don't you join us?  You don't have to have participated this month ... You don't have to participate every month ... Just the ones you feel you might be interested in!!

3 comments:

Fiona said...

besides the tension issues you can see your second one is much better than the first... smoother... are you using gloves to grip the fabric? .... relax... breathe, shrug your shoulders.... glass of wine, good music... relax....
Great job... keep going...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

well done Larissa this is what i want to try also,i will catch up on things 1st then i will practice.xx

Lynette said...

Hehe I *hate* tension!! :D You're off to a really great start on your FMQ. I've been working on mine off and on for almost a year now, and with the twin quilt I'm chipping away at right now, it suddenly occurred to me how much different the experience is now that I've got enough practice to be really comfortable with it (except when I'm trying feathers - lol). I used to find that I'd been holding my breath, and my hands/forearms/shoulders would start killing me. Now, my hands never ache - I guess you finally get the feel of it and don't need so much pressure. my forearms never hurt, either. My shoulders - nowhere near as bad, but yes, they do get tired if I try to quilt for longer than an hour at a time. Just keep with it and try to remind yourself to relax. One day, you'll be working along and suddenly realize you don't have to think about relaxing because it's just there naturally. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...